26 Jun POWER RECIPE: TAMALE PIE
This dish has it all: fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
Prep Time: 15 minutes (Total Time 1:15)
- 5 c. riced cauliflower
- 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. 90/10 lean ground beef or ground turkey meat
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/4 c. red enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can corn, rinsed and drained
- Plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- 1 large avocado, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave cauliflower covered and vented until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheese, egg, and dried oregano to the cooked cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper and mix until combined.
- Grease an ovenproof 10” skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) with olive oil, then press the cauliflower mixture into skillet. Bake until golden and dried out, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook, stirring often, until the beef is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add chili powder, ground cumin, enchilada sauce, black beans and corn and bring mixture to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, then turn off heat.
- Spread mixture over baked cauliflower crust then top with remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy, about 15 minutes more.
- Garnish with avocado and Greek yogurt (as sour cream) and serve warm.
Recipe by: Lauren Ott